Lagos Police Arrest 39 Over Coastal Road, Third Mainland Bridge Vandalism, Others
… 1,800 manhole covers, 1km fencing, 75 signs stolen from Coastal Road
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 39 suspects in connection with vandalism, robbery, cultism and other crimes across the state, with the police and Federal Ministry of Works intensifying efforts to protect critical infrastructure.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Tijani Olayiwola Fatai, disclosed this during a press briefing at the Command’sHeadquarters in Ikeja, where he highlighted the arrest of 10 suspects allegedly linked to repeated vandalism of the newly constructed Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road.
The suspects were arrested on August 17 following intelligence-led investigations into the destruction and theft of infrastructure along the road.
Vandalised iron materials were recovered, while police said preliminary investigations linked the suspects to the repeated attacks on the project.
CP Fatai said the Command also arrested 28-year-old Chidiebere Ochiri for allegedly vandalising and stealing government-installed CCTV camera cables, irons and other infrastructure on the Third Mainland Bridge.
According to him, Ochiri admitted removing cables connecting CCTV cameras and other iron materials from the bridge and selling the vandalised copper wires to scavengers and scrap dealers.
He allegedly disclosed that he had been involved in the activity for several months, selling copper wire for about N12,000 per kilogramme.
The state police commissioner said one quantity of copper wire was recovered, while efforts were ongoing to arrest his alleged accomplices and identify dealers receiving the stolen materials.
The scale of the Coastal Road vandalism was further revealed by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engr Olufemi Dare, who said criminals had stolen 1,800 manhole covers from the project between January and August.
Dare explained that the vandals break the concrete manhole covers to remove the reinforcement iron inside for sale.
He also disclosed that approximately 1,000 metres, or one kilometre, of clear-view fencing installed along the Coastal Road had been vandalised and removed during the same period.
The fencing, according to him, was designed to separate surrounding communities from the Coastal Road.
The Federal Controller further revealed that 75 directional signs had been cut down and removed by vandals, potentially creating additional safety risks for motorists unfamiliar with the route.
Dare expressed concern that criminal elements were destroying infrastructure at a time when the Federal Government was investing heavily in the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road project.
He said the Minister of Works had repeatedly expressed sadness over reports of vandalism, adding that the government had resolved to confront the perpetrators.
“We have declared war with them. We are not going to rest on our oars. The CP is here; they are determined to help us.”
Dare said the recently launched Coast Guard would also contribute to efforts to protect the infrastructure.
Quoting the Minister of Works, he said there was “madness in Lagos” that must be confronted with “wire madness.”
He appealed to the media and members of the public to support the campaign against infrastructure vandalism by reporting suspicious activities and helping security agencies identify perpetrators.
“Coastal Road is not a safe haven for criminals. We will not watch these few criminal elements come and disturb what the Federal Government is doing.”
Dare said trillions of naira had been committed to the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road project, making the protection of the infrastructure a collective responsibility.
Meanwhile, the Lagos Police Command reported other successes in its August operations, including the recovery of locally made pistols, a double-barrel gun, ammunition, cutlasses, knives, substances suspected to be Indian hemp, a POS machine and other exhibits.
CP Fatai said the Command also arrested suspected cultists in Aguda, Surulere, Isolo and Ijeshatedo, while two suspected armed robbers were arrested and two locally made pistols recovered.
In a separate operation in Egbeda, police arrested a trailer driver, Amisu Isah, after intelligence indicated that goods were being diverted from a trailer into smaller vehicles. Cartons of spaghetti were recovered, while another suspect was subsequently arrested.
CP Fatai said the arrests and recoveries demonstrated the Command’s commitment to intelligence-led policing and the protection of lives, property and public infrastructure.
He assured residents that the police would continue working with the Ministry of Works, the Federal Controller of Works and other stakeholders to secure critical infrastructure.
“Lagos will not be a safe haven for criminals,” the police commissioner declared, warning that those involved in vandalism, robbery, stealing, cultism and other crimes would be identified, arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
He urged Lagos residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities, stressing that credible information from the public remained crucial to preventing crime and protecting government infrastructure.

Comments
Post a Comment